Thursday 8 April 2010

Clash Of The Titans

The remake – something that Hollywood is constantly churning out. Now I admit that there have been a few decent remakes but overall not too many really. I enjoyed the remade Planet Of The Apes, but that was because they set it to a new story and didn’t copy the characters – a much better move.

I always get really worried when they remake some of my favourite movies. King Kong for instance. The 1933 version is one of the movies I remember as a kid and made me really get into the whole stop motion thing. The remake was a bit of a let down but a whole lot better than the 1976 remake – where they made Kong a bit of a perv! Another movie that left a huge impact on me from those days was Ray Harryhausen’s The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms. This led me to check out as many Ray Harryhausen movies as I could. The Sinbads, Jason & The Argonuauts, Valley Of Gwangi and more. But of course this included Clash Of The Titans. A great fantasy movie where Harryhausen created some amazing beasts like Medusa and the Kraken. I love this movie and when I found out there was a remake of it I have to admit I was very worried about what they would do to one of my all time favourite films. (Note: I am also worried by the upcoming Karate Kid remake!).

Of course curiosity got the better of me and I had to go and see the remake so I could at least have an opinion on it. Only available in 3D – always a worry as I’m not really a fan of the 3D movie.

So what was this remake of Clash Of The Titans like? Honestly it was a huge pile of donkey poop! I hated it! Mrs. T enjoyed it though. The story was messed around with, there was one glimmering hope for me when we saw the metal owl, Bubo – a huge star in the original movie. But this one glimse was all we were permitted to in this remake. I am honestly struggling on what to write about this film. The budget was big, the effects were as expected from the current big blockbuster studios, but the story was so far from the original I couldn’t help but feel totally let down.

Is it possible to write to Warner Bros and ask for my entrance fee back? Two hours of my life that I’ll never get back….lost forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment