Monday 19 April 2010

Getting Older?

Sometimes I worry that I am getting a bit old for things. I am sat here at work yawning and struggling to keep my eyes open.

Last night I went to my second gig in three days. I went to see Dropkick Murphys in Brixton. (For the record, they did suck and I only wanted to see the support band, Face To Face. Who absolutely rocked by the way!). A Sunday night and I managed to roll into bed a couple of minutes before 1.30am. Up at 6 for work. Not a whole lot of sleep I know but when I was younger I used to go to three or four shows in a row and never be this tired!

This weekend saw me in Oxford on Friday and Brixton on Sunday - but Saturday was a night in with a movie as I turned down three potential offers of shows to attend. I can remember when I was younger seeing Ned's Atomic Dustbin in Wolverhampton on a Friday, Suede in Southampton the next night and then Sunday seeing Eat Static in Reading and though nothing of it. And that was much more mileage than the weekend I just had.

As I've got older it seems like I want more days to just chill out and not be out at gigs. I love gigs, don’t get me wrong, but I guess as I've grown up, my priorities have shifted. Obviously now I am married and have two children - so I want to be spending time with them and not be out every night at a show. Maybe it's not getting old, more of a change in my attitude. Having children changes the way you look at things before. I want to spend time with them, they're awesome and so much fun to hang out with.

Maybe I am getting older, but maybe it's not really a change in tiredness but a change in priorities and knowing when you're taking the piss by being out too often.

I have to say I am looking forward to the days when my daughters wanna come to shows, hopefully they won't be too embarrassed to hang out with their Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment